Question:
Is there a traditional meal in Canada? on what occasion, and what do you eat then?
nancieke
2006-05-05 11:56:39 UTC
Is there a traditional meal in Canada? on what occasion, and what do you eat then?
Eight answers:
purpledents
2006-05-07 18:44:33 UTC
Do Canadians (me included) not eat turkey on special occasions, such as Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving? Then, come the trimmings, such as various cooked vegetables, stuffing, mashed potatoes, yams, gravy, cranberry jelly, etc. I know some Canadian vegetarians that eat vegetarian turkey roll on Christmas.

For the poster who said that salmon is a popular dish in BC -- I live on the BC coast, and RARELY eat salmon, except when it comes canned from the grocery store. Fresh salmon in the store is ridiculously expensive. However, occasionally it is sold at the fishing docs by First Nations fisherpeople, and can be obtained at a reasonable price.

For the poster who asked where (else) you can get poutine -- I work at an A&W, and we serve it there. However, not all A&Ws will have poutine, as it is an optional menu item.

From what I've experienced in life, and in work, I think a "traditional" meal in Canada is almost anything that's quick -- hamburgers, hotdogs, and good ol' KD!
sswan007
2006-05-06 12:08:15 UTC
I don't believe that there is any one traditional meal in Canada --in Alberta -- here our pride is our Alberta beef, and back bacon. BC -- salmon is a big meal there.. so it depends in which province you are living.. the French have some good meals as well like the beef and pork pie which is an excellent dish as well as the Ukrainians have perogies and cabbage rolls and kubasa.. hope this helps you out... oh by the way I think McDonald's might be in there somewhere as well LOL
blue_eyed_kick_boxer
2006-05-05 13:21:21 UTC
I would say that there is no such thing as a "traditional" Canadian meal, any more than there is a "Traditional" American meal. There are traditionally Canadian foods (maple syrup, poutine, aforementioned donuts, beaver tails, Canadian bacon) and such, but nothing ethnicly Canadian.
kalsmom
2006-05-05 12:00:58 UTC
It depends on which part of Canada. We are such a diverse multicultural country. There is tourtiere and poutine, which are French Canadian.
zapdude1
2006-05-05 11:58:35 UTC
From "The Great White North" (Bob and Doug McKenzie)

Donuts. And beer.
SpongebobRoundpants
2006-05-05 15:12:34 UTC
Whatever is in the pot and in the case at Tim Horton's is what Canadians eat.
happytraveler
2006-05-05 13:13:23 UTC
back bacon and beer
elric1970